29 April 2009

Yawara Judo Association Clinic/Promotional

Some of you may know that I am also a member of Yawara Judo Association. If you know that then you also know that my dad was responsible for this association. It's been a year since he left for his match with Kano and during that time, Yawara has been working on its direction. This last weekend (25-26 April 2009), they made it apparent what they've been up to.

There were three events that occured during the weekend: a clinic, a promotional, and the awarding of Kudan, Yawara (9th Degree Black Belt) to my father for what he gave us.

The clinic was fairly good, though there were many things that I would have prefered to have done and I have several ideas on how best to conduct future clinics. I will elaborate later.

The promotional was also fairly good, though it, too, lacked due to a paradigm shift in operations and standards. While holding to Yawara's traditional standards, the addition of USJA's standards into the mix added frequent confusion, though not inability. Terminology is a pain in the coccyx.

The presentation of the Kudan was...emotional.

P.S. This is old. I thought I had already posted it.

1 comment:

jules.maas said...

It's always a difficult transition when any organization deals with such a fundamental change. I'm sure they'll be able to recapture most of the magic as time goes on.

Very glad to hear about the Kudan presentation. I still miss your dad a lot.