23 October 2009

Jûdô Thoughts

This is a random thoughts post. I’ll talk about what’s going on, expansion, and travels.

Roswell Judo Club is currently expanding. We have three classes a day, three days a week. Next week we will have four. The class being added is by request from one of the Mixed Martial Arts (cage fighting) teams in town. It will be in the morning from 8:30-10:30. I expect it will be heavily concentrated on the techniques that will prove most effective for them to win in their matches. I think that this is also a good time for those who want to compete in jûdô shiai to come.

The next three months are going to be very busy for me. In November I’ll be headed to Las Cruces to sit on a jôseki with Rue-sensei from New Mexico State University. I will be one of the junior sitting members on the grading panel, which means I will probably be tasked to be uke or tori for contestants.

December finds me traveling to Dallas for a promotional contest held by Yawara Jûdô Association. Again, being a junior member of the jôseki, if I’m lucky, I will almost certainly be tasked to be uke or tori for contestants. Also in December my club will be holding a promotional contest for our students. I expect to be the only member of the jôseki for this, though I might ask a sensei from Carlsbad to attend.

Las Vegas, Nevada is my destination for January. The United States Judo Association will be holding an event that includes a coaching clinic/get together with some of the big names in USJA. I want to make sure I get somewhat known by them as I hope to become known. The becoming known will help my club for recognition. It might also help bring some new people to Roswell, because you can bet I’m going to put out a press release!

Right now, I’m hoping that more people start coming to jûdô so we can purchase mats for our club. Without quality mats, we can’t hold a tournament which will certainly boost numbers. I recently talked with the administrators of the Yucca and they asked me to get them a quote. We shall see.

I’d like to say thanks to all the people who have been visiting the blog! Feel free to comment or shoot me questions!

No comments: