15 August 2010

On the Subject of Ranks

What is the purpose of rank, especially in regards to judo? Is the purpose to get as high in the belt rankings as possible? Is it to show off how much you know? Is it to get to a rank sufficiently high enough to accomplish your goals? Is it just to get a black belt? Why do we have rank?

Apparently this is a discourse that has occurred frequently throughout judo’s 100+ years. It probably won’t stop for a number of reasons including the individual’s perspective on judo as martial way or combat sport. Some will advocate its elimination because other similar sports, like wrestling, don’t need such a ranking. Some will advocate its continued use because of tradition. I don’t like either advocation.

When beginning judo, using the USJA senior ranking system, one starts with the white then progresses through yellow, orange, and green until coming to three stages of brown. I equate these levels as the primary and secondary education phases of judo. White through green, to me, are the phases where one learns the basic alphabet, syntax, and grammar of judo. The brown belt levels are the high school level; this is where the basics start to be developed into an individual’s style and interpretation, preparing them to really begin learning judo.

The early black belt grades, shodan through sandan, are the baccalaureate levels of judo. Certainly these individuals may be outstanding in the basics of judo with a large and broad general knowledge. Unfortunately, at this level, extrapolation, novel interpretation, and transmission of this knowledge are lacking.

The yodan and godan levels are the Master’s level of judo learning. Here the black belt is learning through experimentation and leading how best to teach and transfer skills and knowledge to the initiate. This is the stage where most judo instructors should start their career as instructors.

The rokkudan through hachidan levels are the Doctoral levels of judo learning. Here the judoka is developing their judo through diligent study and experimentation. Here they should be putting out their knowledge to the masses. The specialties developed here narrowed early and broaden as the levels increase.

Higher levels exist, however these individuals should be walking encyclopedias of judo and there really is no academic equivalent.

Obviously, the previous explanation ignores both sport and tradition as reasons for grading higher. So what should we do with the competitors or the traditionalists? You have me in the trap, I’m afraid. I never studied competitive judo while developing, so what I know of it you can put in your hat and still have plenty of room. On the other hand, I was raised in a traditionalist program. I believe that tradition plays a strong role in the development of a judoka. But tradition without evaluation is blind faith and I am sorely against blind faith.

So, allow me to talk about my perspective on sport and sport ranking. I do not believe a student under the green belt level is ready for competition unless that student has spent time in other arts similar to judo and has attained a sufficient level. Upon attainment of the green belt, however, competition is necessary to evaluate a student’s skill in comparison to others. Shiai is an evaluatory tool for most students, however, and should not be a medal chase. Eventually, perhaps at the ikkyu/shodan level, the student who would like to pursue shiai as a significant goal should have training dedicated to the pursuit of medals as, by this time, they have a sufficient grounding in the essentials of judo to be adequate and specialization at this level will not be as detrimental as it would be at lower levels.

I certainly will not discourage any of my students that wish to compete from competing, as long as they are at least a green belt. I will encourage my students that desire to compete to take up physical conditioning and endurance training to complement their judo. I do encourage my green belt and above students to compete, as long as they are training consistently.

So, what about the ranking of competitors? I believe their success in competition should be rewarded. The difficulty lies in the level of reward. Should one reward a “one trick pony” for beating everybody with one or two moves? I don’t believe so, no matter how far they take that one trick. The flip side of that is the competitive judoist that wins consistently using numerous waza to win.

How far should competitive success take the competitor? I don’t believe a competitor should be able to progress above another with greater knowledge. For example, an individual who cannot compete for some reason learns the full go kyo to both sides, nage no kata, katame no kata, ju no kata, trains daily, assists the club, and does a host of other helpful activities for judo may rank to sandan or yodan. A competitor that wins all the time in tournament but can’t do a single kata and only knows half the go kyo and rarely helps at the club could make it to nidan or sandan. On the other hand, the competitor who knows the same as the illustrated non-competitor should make it to yodan or godan, and faster to boot.

As to the initial questions, I know I haven’t answered them. Those are questions that one has to answer for oneself. I know the answer for me. What is it for you?

2 comments:

Ice said...

Hi Loren,

I've been reading your blog. It's very good and I learn quite a bit from it.

And for me rank is a quick glance at the person as to their capabilities and expected roles. Generally speaking higher rank means better technical ability. Higher rank also means greater responsibility: running the club, opening/closing, organizing, refereeing, score keeping, fundraising, teaching, coaching, etc...

I'm right now ranked as an ikkyu and I value my brown belt and rather relish the middle ground of brown beltness. You are capable, and expected to do things, however, it's okay if you goof up once in awhile, since you're not a black belt.

I also have in my gi bag a white belt. And the white belt has a lot of meaning for me as it's an open passport to go to any dojo and practice. It's great to go to a jujutsu or similar gi grappling club throughout the country and simply learn.

I value both my brown and white belts, as one signifies my experience and the other means that I can train anywhere. I also carry a blue belt as well so that I can compete and only bring one white gi instead of bringing a white and a blue one. The blue belt is simply functional; it tells you that you are blue and holds your uniform together.

And therein, for me lies the meaning of belt ranking. One is experience/responsibility, the second is learning, and the third one is simply functional.

I think that some people overthink things. Rank is important. However, the measure of a person is their character and not what color belt they wear.

Loren said...

Ice,

Thanks, for the appreciation! It's good to know that others are learning from it too!

I like your perspective, it's certainly not one I would have conceived. I will certainly have to do some more thinking on this!

I certainly am guilty of overthinking things. That is one of the difficulties of having nothing better to do that think and study (the joys of unemployment - darn you job market!).

I may revisit this some time...but for now, THANKS!