01 August 2008

Tournaments

Truth be told, I haven't been to a tournament since 2003 when I was in Florida working for Walt Disney World and going to classes at Central Florida Judo and Jujitsu run by William Andreas (great club, btw). That was the Rattler Roundup down in Boca Raton (I think). I didn't do so hot.

I think the biggest failure on my part for that tournament was lack of knowledge and preparation, specifically maintaining a two-handed grip or applying a technique from a single-side sleeve grip where both parties are fully extended away from each other. I'm not sure I have solved the single sided extension problem, however, I have been listening to Rhadi and Jimmy's gripping advice cd's and dvd's. (Both of these individuals have really some of the best advice on dvd or cd and are mostly worth the money; I highly recommend the scouting report, the underground gripfight secrets, grip like a world champion).

So why am I talking about this competition stuff now? Well, next weekend I'm going to El Paso (the Texas Brown Belt Championship) and I'm going to compete. I haven't decided if I'm going to fight in the Master's (which just means the over 30 groups) or the Seniors (which is from 17-29). But I do plan on fighting. I'd like to win, and I'm expecting to place.

It should be an interesting experience for me as I've been out of competing for awhile and since going to the Judo Forum Summit and Camp I feel I've learned some things, but really, desparately need to work on gripping and gripping endurance. I should also think about transitions and attacks, however I do have my favorite transitions, which I am not going to tell my readers. My attacks, well, they are not as continuous and fluid as I'd like so we will just have to see how well they will work.

So, in a week, I will be going to El Paso to fight. I plan on having my buddy video my fight so that I can see what is necessary for me to work on so that I might improve.

On other news, only semi-related, I may be going to the US Open in Colorado to visit with friends and maybe compete up there in the Master's division.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

W00t! Good luck, man! Definetly have to post your results (maybe even the video?! I've never seen your mad judo skillz!) ;)