18 July 2008

Sasae tsuri komi ashi

I was working on stka (I'm not writing that long thing right now) with one of my students on Wednesday and had an epiphany about how stka works! (I may be worng but it seems to work for now.)

When uke is holding his body rigid, leaning upon you, and refusing to allow you to enter into them, you step wide and pivot. As uke's body leans forward from your withdrawal, your foot is placed in front of uke's advancing foot, stopping its forward motion prematurely. This action causes uke to continue in its forward motion, but rather than a further forward base, the body rotates about an axis much further back. I don't know if that made sense, or will make sense in a week. Suffice it to say that you move out to the side as they are leaning on you, block their foot, and the rotate over their foot into ukemi.

No comments: